A few posts back I decided to make a very simple Cherry Tart with homemade crisp topping to modify the pre-made ingredients used. Well I decided to do the same again but come up with something new since I had a ton of the crisp crumble left over and an extra pie filling. After some research and debate I decided to make a take on another sweet challenge in coming up with a coffee cake by combining boxed cake mix with blueberry pie filling.
This lighter, almost muffin like cake is less rich and fatty than many breakfast "cakes", yet a touch more dense that a simple vanilla or white cake. Just the thought of having another slice of this little piece of heaven with a fresh cup of coffee or a hot cup of tea is delightful and I hope you try this masterpiece on the next snowy day... or rainy day.. or sunny day... JUST TRY IT ANY DAY!!
- 1 Can Duncan Hines Comstock® More Fruit Blueberry
- 1 Box Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix
- 1 cup Milk
- The Zest of one Orange
- A "Splash" of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Whole Egg
- Crisp Topping (see Mini Cherry Tarts)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F for shiny metal or glass pans / 325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans. Grease bottom and sides of a 13" x 9" pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, milk, blueberry pie filling, vegetable oil, vanilla, zest & eggs on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (scraping bowl occasionally). Pour into pan and sprinkle generously with crisp topping.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. There may be a little stickiness to the cake filling due to some of the filling but not much. DO NOT OVER COOK! Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let set for at least a half hour before cutting and serving.
When using a boxed cake mix, add one extra egg and use milk instead of water.
|These little cakes will soufflé in the oven and fall a little when cooling.|
|Try this recipe with Apple Filling and Spiced Cake Mix!|
|This cake is even better the next day!!!|