I'm obsessed with slow cooker recipes and have been trying them out a lot more recently. Three of my favorites are below and can be found in the Taste of Home Slow Cooker cookbook. My adaptations and adjustments have been shared as well. I hope you try them because they are absolutely delicious.
Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
Prep: 10 minutes / Cook: 5 Hours
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (I have also used chicken breasts!)
- 1-6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca (I used cornstarch and/or flour; both worked well)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil (I used Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5 qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired.
Prep: 15 minutes / Cook: 7-1/2 Hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I left mine meatless)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced dried parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 beef bouillon cube (I used vegetable stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage (I used the shredded coleslaw mix in the salad aisle of your markets produce section)
- 1-15 ounce can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5 qt. slow cooker, combine the meat, tomatoes, onion, parsley, salt if desired, thyme, bouillon, pepper and water. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni; cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. (I omitted the pasta and put all items together on low for the full 7-9 hours).
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese if desired.
Polish Kraut and Apples
Prep: 10 Minutes / Cook: 4 Hours
- 1-14 ounce can sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained
- 1-16 ounce package smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut into chunks (I used Turkey Kielbasa)
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in a 3 qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the apples are tender.
Note: I added 2 canned of whole peeled potatoes to make a complete meal!